Governor Cuomo Could Slow Plans for Malls, Indoor Dining in NYC

NEW YORK – With Phase Three reopening approaching, Governor Andrew Cuomo says he’s concerned about coronavirus risks with malls and indoor dining in New York City.

While he doesn’t plan on retracting any reopening measures, he says he may “proceed with caution” when it comes to malls and indoor dining by slowing things down.

This comes as other states across the country continue to see surges in COVID-19 cases. But Cuomo admits New York has been smart and calculated with its plans, and so far reopening has gone smoothly.

“The other states never really had an intelligent reopening plan the way we did,” Cuomo said via telephone on Mornings On 1.

Still, large gatherings and lack of compliance and enforcement are a concern. He is also worried that other areas could bring more coronavirus cases to New York.

“I’m worried that we’re going to get infected by the other states,” Cuomo said.

During his briefing from City Hall Monday morning, Mayor Bill de Blasio echoed the same concerns about indoor dining.

“My view is we can go into Phase Three on all the other fronts. We can do that effectively, we can do the outdoor dining on a much bigger scale. But the indoor we really need to examine closely and come to a decision in the next couple of days,” de Blasio said.

The mayor says the decision could include either a full pause in the roll out of indoor dining, or tweaks to regulations in the current plan.

He says the city is otherwise still on track for the other changes that come with Phase Three.